Head of Office - Council of Europe Office in Belgrade
Tobias Flessenkemper was appointed by the Secretary General of the Council of Europe as Head of the Belgrade Office on 1 October 2018.
His previous postings include the European External Action Service (EEAS) in Bosnia and Herzegovina, the Council of the European Union in Brussels, Skopje and Sarajevo and the OSCE. 2012-13 he was visiting fellow at the German Institute for International and Security Affairs (SWP). In 2013 he became managing director of the Berlin-based agency elbarlament.org – cultures of democracy. He regularly contributes to research and higher education programmes with a focus on European cooperation. From 1998-2001 he was Secretary General of the European Youth Forum. He holds a Magister Artium (M.A.) in Political Science from the University of Cologne and European Master in International Humanitarian Assistance (E.MA) from the Ruhr-University Bochum.
- 2018– Head of Office, Council of Europe. Council of Europe Office in Belgrade.
- 2013-2018 Managing Director, elbarlament – cultures of democracy, implementation agency, projects with European Commission, GIZ (German cooperation), OSCE, German federal ministries et al. Governance. Berlin.
- 2010-2012 Senior Policy Advisor, European External Action Service (EEAS), European Union Police Mission to Bosnia and Herzegovina (EUPM). Sarajevo.
- 2004-2011 CSDP/CFSP Political Advisor, Council of the European Union. Skopje, Bruxelles, Sarajevo.
- 2003-2003 Project Manager, Zentrum für Internationale Friedenseinsätze (ZIF). Berlin.
- 2001-2002 Political Development Coordinator, OSCE Mission to Bosnia and Herzegovina. Sarajevo.
- 1998-2001 Secretary General, Forum européen de la jeunesse/European Youth Forum. Bruxelles.
- 1996-1998 Secretary General, Young European Federalists (JEF-Europe). Bruxelles.
Academic & research experience
- 2016– Programme Associate Security and Resilience, European Centre for Development Policy Management (ECDPM). Maastricht & Bruxelles.
- 2013– Senior Fellow, Centre international de formation européenne (CIFE). Nice.
- 2016–2019 Adjunct Faculty, Universität zu Köln, Dept. of Political Science & European Affairs. Köln.
- 2012-2013 Visiting Fellow, Stiftung Wissenschaft und Politik (SWP). German Institute for International and Security Affairs. Berlin/Bruxelles.
Education & training (selection)
- 2003 E. MA. European Master in International Humanitarian Assistance (NOHA). Ruhr-Universität Bochum.
- 1997 M.A. Magister Artium in Political Science (major), German and Italian studies. Universität zu Köln.